Tuesday, October 31, 2006

You and your Research

You and your Research by Richard Hamming [PDF].


I've read the transcript of this talk about 4 times. Each time I do that, I find something interesting. Here are some of the best quotes:


  • You can lead a nice life; you can be a nice guy or you can be a great scientist. But nice guys end last, is what Leo Durocher said. If you want to lead a nice happy life with a lot of recreation and everything else, you'll lead a nice life.
  • Newton said 'If I have seen further than others, it is because I've stood on the shoulders of giants.' These days we stand on each other's feet!
  • There is an element of luck, yes and no. Luck favors a prepared mind; luck favors a prepared person. It is not guaranteed; I don't guarantee success as being absolutely certain. I'd say luck changes the odds, but there is some definite control on the part of the individual.
  • The day your vision, what you think needs to be done, is bigger than what you can do single-handedly, then you have to move toward management. And the bigger the vision is, the farther in management you have to go. You can't make it happen from the bottom very easily.


Technorati Tags:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. My Way My blog. Toufeeq Hussain