My research work requires re-construction of Wikipedia on a local PC. Before this I didn't know this could be done. These are the steps required for getting a local version of Wikipedia running on your Desktop PC or laptop. Minimum requirements are php5, mediawiki 1.7, Linux (duh!) and around 8 Gig's of Free space.
- Install Mediawiki by following these steps (Debian specific).
- Configure it in the normal manner you configure any mediawiki installation.
- Download the latest Wikipedia dump. I got the pages-articles dump.
- bunzip2 enwiki-latest-pages-articles.xml.bz2
- Move to the maintenance directory of the mediawiki installation. On Debian systems this would be in /var/lib/mediawiki1.7/maintenance.
- cat enwiki-latest-pages-articles.xml | php5 importDump.php
If you view your mediawiki from your browser and visit a random page, you should be able to see the Wikipedia articles which got imported.