Monday, October 16, 2006

My first n00by patch

Some of my work tends to float into the Linux-embedded space from time to time. It's instances like these when I need to get back to some kernel fiddling. I use a ARM 9202T based Cirrus Logic EP9312 board. The full specifications of the board are available if anyone is interested.


WinCE is supported on this board, but it's of no interest to me. Cirrus does provide a linux support for both the 2.4 and 2.6 kernel versions. The Cirrus based 2.6 linux is based on uCLinux and hence is crippled. There is however hope in the form of the ep93xx community which provides a full glibc based 2.6 kernel for the board. The ep93xx community was spearheaded by Michael Burian and his patchset is still very usable. The only problem seems to be that getting this into mainline was causing proving to be difficult. The mainline push was started by Lennert Buytenhek with 2.6.16 when traces of the ep93xx started appearing in the kernel tree. Support for almost all the ep93xx based boards are available in mainline with 2.6.19-rc1. My contribution to this is support for the EP9312 board. This was my first kernel patch to the linux-arm community. Hopefully, I should have time to sit down and get ethernet support for the board soon. Ah! I also see there's a patch floating around for the ep93xx-lirc.


Technorati Tags : , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. My Way My blog. Toufeeq Hussain