Friday, October 13, 2006

Firefox 3.0 Brainstorming on Mozilla-Wiki

Firefox 2.0 is quite stable now and ready for day-to-day use. Of course some of the extensions have not been update so you might end up with a situation wherein once you move to Firefox 2.0, your favorite extension might not work. I'm currently facing this problem with the del.icio.us extension. Please for God's sake, update your extensions!


Looking into the future of Firefox development, Firefox 3.0 planning has already started. Mike Bletzner (Mozilla QA) had started a thread on the firefox.dev mailing list asking people to give feedback on what problems they face currently in Firefox. The thread produced some interesting feedback and quite a few people poured their gripes about Firefox into that thread. The thread can be viewed here.


After gathering the problems users/developers face it's now time to brainstorm on new features and modifications. The Mozilla Wiki has hosted a page called Firefox 3.0 Brainstorming to further discuss on the feature-set for Firefox 3.0. You can help out by adding the feature which you want to the growing list, or provide a mock-up of your new idea through a XUL file or a firefox extension. My Firefox 3.0 wishlist can be viewed here. I've concentrated on three things.

  • Import/Export of Firefox Addons-information. An extension which I'm currently working on and which should appear on AMO after I get it ready for Firefox 2.0.
  • A direct download solution for the Download Manager using URLs.
  • In-Page Bookmarking and content highlighting, possible through Web-Marker.


Technorati Tags :, , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, February 09, 2007, Blogger Daniel Einspanjer said...

Did you ever move forward with this export/import extension? I find myself needing something that can both collect information about my installed extensions and more importantly, the settings for such to help me migrate to a new machine.

 
At 10:06 AM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Toufeeq said...

have the extension code if you required. I never managed to release it. It for Firefox 1.5 though and might need some fixes to work with Firefox 2.0. Let me know if you still need it and I'll e-mail it to you.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. My Way My blog. Toufeeq Hussain