Saturday, September 30, 2006

Netvibes with Firefox 2.0 Beta2

Have started using Firefox Beta2 (BonEcho) for the last two days. The biggest difference is the automatic spell-checker for text-entry fields. This really helps with GMail and Blogger. You can get the latest version of Firefox Beta from here. Some of my extensions seem to work, most of them don't. The ability to subscribe to feeds has improved. One can now use an online-feed reader or a desktop feed-reader to automatically subscribe to RSS/ATOM feeds from a website which offers one.


The right way BonEcho by default ships with support for Google Reader, My Yahoo! and Bloglines. I really wanted support for Netvibes as that's my main feed-reader. Here's how I went about doing it.


  • Open a Tab and type in 'about:config' in the address bar.
  • Filter the list by the words 'contentHandlers'. This should list the Google, Yahoo and Bloglines feed-readers.
  • You will need to create new entries for Netvibes.
  • To create a new entry right click the window and select 'New > String'.
  • For the first string enter 'browser.contentHandlers.types.#.title' as the preference name and 'Netvibes' as the string value. '#' is the next biggest number for the feed contentHandlers. In my case it was 6.
  • For the second string enter 'browser.contentHandlers.types.#.type' as the preference name and 'application/vnd.mozilla.maybe.feed' as the string value.
  • For the third string enter 'browser.contentHandlers.types.#.uri' as the preference name and 'http://www.netvibes.com/subscribe.php?url=%s' as the string value, '%s' here is replaced by Firefox as the URL of the RSS/ATOM feed when it subscribes to Netvibes.
  • Restart Firefox and check if 'Netvibes' is listed as a feed when you subscribe to an online feed by choosing 'Bookmarks > Subscribe to this Feed'.


The ugly way At times I've seen that the netvibes value does not show up in my feed-selection. To fix this I just modified all the 'about:config' entries which point to 'My Yahoo' to Netvibes. In my case I had to change the values for contentHandler numbered '1'. You can edit a value by right-clicking and choosing 'Edit'.


After setting up Netvibes in Firefox 2.0 I can now go to a website and subscribe to the site's feed directly instead of copy-pasting URL's.

Technorati Tags: , Firefox, , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, October 01, 2006, Anonymous Sharique said...

I love that auto spell check in firefox but i would still go with Flock..RSS reader is great and plus it takes care of memory leaks so no memory usage shooting upto 200MB!

 
At 5:41 PM, October 02, 2006, Blogger Toufeeq said...

@sharique

The memory-leaks can be addressed with proper firefox configuration using the 'about:config' interface. I was a Flock-er earlier too, it's a really neat browser for pic uploading but the blogging client was pathetic for Blogger when I last used it (version 0.5)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. My Way My blog. Toufeeq Hussain