Monday, July 03, 2006

Playing YouTube Videos on the Sony PSP

This is my latest obsession. Since I travel for around 2.5 hrs during my office commute, I need to keep myself entertained. Till now the Sony PSP was being used to play the odd game or to listen to some music. I finally managed to get all the pieces together to start encoding videos for the PSP on Debian GNU/Linux. This got boring after a while as I didn't have new content to keep me entertained on a daily basis.


The next step was to get the videos from YouTube to play on the PSP. This actually turned out easier than I expected. Here's how I managed to do it,


  • Get Mozilla Firefox.
  • Install the "VideoDownloader" extension.
  • Install ffmpeg on Debian. apt-get install ffmpeg. My ffmpeg version is the one pulled from the ffmpeg subversion repo. This is on Debian unstable mind you with the debian-multimedia repo's.
  • Go to YouTube/Google Videos and view a video, click on the VideoDownlaoder icon on the Status bar of Firefox, this will inturn popup a window with the link to the video being currently played. Right click and "Save the link" on your PC.
  • Videos will be saved in the FLV (Flash Video) format. You can play them using VLC.
  • You need to re-encode these videos to the PSP's aspect ratio. Here's the ffmpeg one-liner which will do it for you.

ffmpeg -i $input_file -f psp -r 29.970 -s 320x240 -b 768 -ar 24000 -ab 32 $output_file
$input_file :: is the name of the Video you just downloaded (.flv)
$output_file :: is the name of the output file for the PSP which should be of the type M4V000XX.MP4 , where XX is a random number.


If everything goes well, stick that into a bash script like so:


=====start=====

#! /bin/sh

input_file=$1 output_file=$2

echo $input_file echo $output_file

ffmpeg -i $input_file -f psp -r 29.970 -s 320x240 -b 768 -ar 24000 -ab 32 $output_file


=====end=====


And you can invoke the script as ./psp_enc.sh ~/Videos/youtube.flv M4V00010.MP4

The whole setup should also be possible on Fedora and Ubuntu too. The next best thing I discovered is ffmpeg2theora, very useful command-line tool if you have a set of divx files and worried that you might loose the ability to play them due to patent problems. ffmpeg2theora will allow you to re-encode your videos to the Ogg Theora format which is an open format and widely supported by almost all the players on Linux.

Technorati Tags :, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, July 23, 2006, Blogger Kyra said...

oh, umm that ffmpeg link doesn't work. Is there another link that you have? I reall want to have yuotube on my psp. Thank you for this information it helped a lot/

 
At 12:46 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger Toufeeq said...

kyra, the ffmpeg link is now fixed. Sorry about that.

 
At 7:16 PM, July 30, 2006, Blogger Kyra said...

Thanks.

 
At 10:53 PM, September 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, im viewing your site on my 2.71 psp + its browser. i was hoping you could tell me how to watch youtube on it cuz it skips movies... thanks though

 
At 1:25 AM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anthony said...

My problem is not downloading firefox on my PSP but installing it. I've checked google thinking maybe I could find a tutorial on how to install it.

My main conflict though, is once I have downloaded firefox to my psp, on my WiFi connection, I cant find it to install it. I saved the download to PSP/COMMON, PSP/VIDEO and even images. I cant install something I cant find the location of..

It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone has the solution. :D

 
At 1:25 AM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anthony said...

My problem is not downloading firefox on my PSP but installing it. I've checked google thinking maybe I could find a tutorial on how to install it.

My main conflict though, is once I have downloaded firefox to my psp, on my WiFi connection, I cant find it to install it. I saved the download to PSP/COMMON, PSP/VIDEO and even images. I cant install something I cant find the location of..

It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone has the solution. :D

 
At 2:23 AM, January 06, 2007, Blogger bob said...

Doh!, lol you can't install Firefox on your PSP.


hahaha

 
At 5:55 AM, January 21, 2007, Anonymous How to PUT youtube VIDEOS on your psp but not youtube itself said...

Dayomn.You don't have to do all that cuz now all you gotta do is install psp video9 from www.pspvideo9.com and then for downloading the videos and converting them you visit www.vixy.net and just copy the youtube url on the converter on that page and bam! its is converted.And now save the video to a place you will remember and then open psp video 9 and click on what says convert which is on the list of four on the left side of the window and then transcode that video using that program which is so so easy that a 7yr old could figure it out.After that go to set-up and then select "Autofind the Psp" and if it finds it, go to "Copy" on that list and then click on the video and on the bottom of that page of the program, select "Copy Video To PSP" and you are done and enjoy

 
At 11:16 AM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Shannon said...

Is it possible to watch YouTube on your PSP? Because it just skips the whole movie, or says that I don't have Javascript on/ I don't have Flash Player. I have both.

... which is weird, and a bit useless.

 
At 3:56 PM, February 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bwa hahaha you stupid idiot... trying to install firefox on psp. looks like someones from planet noobulon!!!! thats hilarious. dumbass.

 
At 9:24 AM, May 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe he just misunderstood.

You install firefox on your computer, do all the stuff then put the vid on your psp.

 
At 12:28 AM, June 29, 2007, Blogger Dennis said...

You can get YouTube videos to PSP with one mouse move with Mobiola Studio. It has been just released for PSP.
http://www.warelex.com/products/studio

 
At 1:30 AM, July 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the ffmpeg......please help...Im stupid so i'm sorry but I need help

 
At 1:40 AM, July 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the site but i can't figure out where to download it......

 
At 5:15 PM, July 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I've finally found something for Linux. I've downloaded a couple of shitty software for Windows, but none of them worked properly. Everyone has it's own GUI and wants you to buy their software instead of some 1-line command tool that does it all.

There should be more HOW-TOs for Linux than for PCs(win-shit) and MACs!

 
At 4:59 AM, July 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Toufeeq,
Check out goInternetVideo it is a site that automatically converts youtube, google video, break, myspace to work on lots of devices including the PSP. I think its the easiest way to get video on to my PSP.

 
At 4:21 AM, November 02, 2007, Anonymous Kelvin said...

No that way is to hard. Get the Youtube URL then use an online converter to convert and download, such converters would be www.convertube.com or the www.converttube.com look at the differences any more Q's E-mail me at kelvinflood@hotmail.com

 
At 1:51 AM, November 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have no clue what your one about

 
At 5:54 AM, February 08, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is a youtube video that shows you how to do you also have to have homebre

 
At 8:32 PM, June 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey toufeeq wazzup, i also live in bangalore and am looking to sell my psp which i got fro the usa if you got any body who is intrested call me at 9886620036. the psp is in mint condition

 
At 1:54 PM, July 28, 2008, Blogger James said...

Thx for the detailed tutorial, but it's still complicated for me. I like to use My YouTube Converter for converting YouTube streaming video to my PSP and other mobile device.

 
At 7:01 AM, October 21, 2008, Blogger abdul said...

You can get the link of the youtube video and put it here www.vixy.net or
convertdirect.com and convert to MP4, or follow this step by step youtube flv converter tutorial,
go to it and paste the url of the youtube video there and u will get the mp4 format for your psp

 
At 7:14 AM, November 29, 2009, Blogger Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa

 
At 1:40 PM, August 14, 2013, Blogger Olya Olegovna said...

Pretty interesting post! Thanks it was interesting. on website

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. My Way My blog. Toufeeq Hussain