Thursday, February 16, 2006

David Axmark

Met MySQL Co-Founder and VP , David Axmark today.Initially was fooled by the 'VP' tag and didn't have much ethu to meet him.I had pegged him down as a suit-and-boot guy who is coming over to Infosys on a business visit, and I have to say I was forced to eat humble-pie.Never ever am I going to underestimate managers belonging to FOSS companies.Why I'm saying this is because David turned out to be this old-school hacker who started programming on the Z80 microprocessor and later on moved to MySQL.
David's main concern is FOSS contribution from India.He is also not happy with FOSS contribution from Indian based MNC's to FOSS.He says the university-based and the freelancer hacker starts churning out FOSS code it's not FOSS contribution put it simply, if you are contributing code _because_ it is your job to contribute code then it's not hacking :P

Thanks David, my faith in technical managers is still strong.

2 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, February 16, 2006, Anonymous Prashanth said...

Mahendra is your manager? his site seems to have dead links ;-)

 
At 9:04 PM, February 16, 2006, Blogger Toufeeq said...

He has stopped updating his site after he became a manager.

Do you know Mahendra ?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. My Way My blog. Toufeeq Hussain