Sunday, January 29, 2006

Why I might never buy an Apple Product

There have been many instances in the near past where in I wanted to bite my tongue and go get an Apple product.It started with the iMac mini when it was first released, the Ipod nano when it released and now finally the Mac BookPro.All of them are great products, great hardware and some great design but I could never take that final decision.Why ? Mac fanboy's might say I'm "one-of-them", a Win-tel/Lin-tel guy with no taste.A guy who can't be compared to artists, a joe, a lamer, a loser. :) Then it struck me why I could never buy an Apple product.I was listening to a Dave Winer PBS interview and in this interview he was talking about his feelings on Microsoft/Apple and Jobs and Gates.The tranmscript is here. In this interview Dave summarizes it beautifully about the whole Apple "spirit".
Apple actually does work, okay? It's the exception to the rule. It is the you sit at his feet and you receive the word of God. Okay. I personally can't stomach that. I cannot sit in a goddamn room with Steve Jobs doing that. I wanna puke, you know?
I think it's true.All Apple products have the Jobs stamp on it.Apple makes what products through Jobs' eyes.He is GOD for Apple.He says "Be" and it is. I dont't want to be a part of (t)his "world".I'll create my own.It might not me milky white and artistic as Jobs' but it will be mine.It's better(and more fun) carving out your path than having own laid out to you.Sure, I might get a MacBookPro(name sucks,I dont think Jobs named it) in the future but I'm not running Mac OS X on it. Thank you Dave Winer.You helped me pinpoint exactly why I could never love Apple.I have nothing against them,they make great hardware and software(best desktop stuff) but sorry you guys cannot control my digital life.

5 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger Bob said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:36 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger Bob said...

So instead of sitting at Job's feet, you're going to sit at Winers. Nice. Instead, why don't you try using one for some time, and make up your own mind?

 
At 12:58 AM, January 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats an iMac mini?

 
At 9:40 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger Toufeeq said...

Bob,

I never said Mac's are bad.Mac's are today perhaps the best Desktop PC's available.

My problem is with Apple and how it "brings" technology to the masses.A few years back Jobs was all praise for the PCC arch and in fact IIRC there were even whitepapers by Apple which proclaimed PPC's superiority to x86.For years Apple has shunned the x86 arch and suddenly when Steve saw the "light" he decided to "free the Intel processor" ?!

I've always wanted a Mac I will eventually get one someday, just that it will take some time for me to see technology through Steve's eyes and right now I'm not willing to do it.

 
At 9:41 AM, January 30, 2006, Blogger Toufeeq said...

anonymous,
mac mini, my bad.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License. My Way My blog. Toufeeq Hussain